Plastic Free July may be drawing to a close, but BYO Friday is just beginning! This Plastic Free July, we launched our nationwide BYO Friday campaign in collaboration with the ABC and the new season of War on Waste. We are thrilled to have secured a prominent role as a key impact partner, with the aim of reducing waste and promoting the habit of reuse.
After 5 years, the ABC’s groundbreaking series, War on Waste is back! The series put a national spotlight on Australia’s waste problems and solutions, triggering massive systems-wide changes across Australia. The new series highlights how far we’ve come, and how far we’ve fallen behind – and what we can all do to stem the waste tide. Episode 1 is available to stream now on ABC iview and ABC TV, and the series will continue next Tuesday at 8.30pm.
The evolution of #BYOFriday
Last year, our pilot campaign #BYOFriday was encouraging cafes and customers to BYO all types of reusables such as coffee cups, containers, straws, bags and cutlery every Friday so we could get back on track in reducing waste!
This year, in collaboration with War on Waste, this new campaign now expands beyond cafes to offices, supermarkets, outdoor events, gigs, restaurants and more, to encourage the habit of reusing weekly no matter where you are in your journey. BYO Friday offers an easy and impactful way for individuals, businesses, local governments, and organisations to contribute to the #ReuseRevolution.
Check out the blog post below of our pilot #BYOFriday campaign last year!
Our BYO Friday Supporters and Amazing Community Partners
Forming new habits can be challenging, but we believe that smaller steps can lead to significant progress. #BYOFriday makes remembering your reusables an easy weekly habit to adopt and once you’re packing your cups, cutlery, and reusable kits every week, you can start building it into your daily routine.
We’re thrilled that over 250 organisations and individuals have already pledged their support, but we know that this is only the beginning!
Our partners have been integral to the success of our campaign, and we are so proud to collaborate with our non-profit partners to reduce plastic pollution and promote sustainability. From cafes to oceans, together we are working to eliminate waste and raise awareness so we can protect our beautiful natural environment.
Join the BYO Friday Office Challenge
- Create a WhatsApp group with your colleagues and start the challenge. The group serves as a platform to share progress and encourage one another.
- Split into teams and nominate a team leader who can assign points to different reusable actions – this helps create friendly competition and motivation.
- Whenever you reduce or reuse items, take a photo and share it in the group. Celebrate your accomplishments!
- Use our Impact Dashboard template to track progress and summarise all the actions taken. To download the Impact Dashboard, click the link below!
Check out our Instagram Reel for more info and to get inspired!
By participating in the BYO Friday Office Challenge, you not only contribute to waste reduction but also foster a sense of teamwork among your colleagues. Get competitive and see who can reduce the most – bonus points if you allocate a prize as an incentive!
From the office and the supermarket to dinner and a gig
Most of us are in the habit of taking our reusable cup to our local cafe and the office, but the real challenge of BYO Friday is to remember ALL of your reusables, ALL day.
- If you’re heading to the supermarket, take containers for deli items, smaller produce bags for fruit and veg, and reusable bags to hold your groceries
- If you’re going to a gig or outdoor event, remember your water bottle and take an extra cup in case you want a different drink and they don’t offer a reusable option. If you’re heading to a farmers market, or event with food stalls, remember a container and cutlery
- For the office, take everything you’ll need throughout your day (and encourage your coworkers to do the same!)
- Lastly, remember your reusable cup if you’re heading to a cafe or restaurant, and take a container if you think you’ll have leftovers
Join the Reuse Revolution
Click the button below to get your hands on the poster – pop it on display in your office, or snap a pic with it and show everyone on your instagram that you pledge to support BYO Friday. Join the hundreds of organisations helping to end plastic pollution one day at a time. On Thursday night, set your alarm ten minutes earlier and add reusables to your morning routine. Plan ahead and pack everything you’ll need so you can leave the house knowing you’ve ditched single use for the day!
Content creator and social media maven, Amy keeps our Cafes and fellow waste warriors connected and updated across all of the Responsible Cafe socials. Passionate about inspiring positive change, sustainability, and performing, she can usually be found filming and editing videos with her furry sidekick, Banks!